About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

BROUHAHA

Brouhaha is actually another word we use in English that is borrowed from the French (I googled this and apparently these are called ''loanwords'', I think they could have come up with a snappier word for this... considering how beautiful and special I find loanwords).

Brouhaha is a masucline noun that means:
bruit confus venant d'une foule.


It has (French) synonyms too, notably tintamarre and tohubohu, which I find also have the same onomatopoeic quality of the word brouhaha.


 My google search also turned up a website with a list of words used in English that are borrowed from French. I didn't click on it though, I thought it would be too much of a spoiler, taking the joy out of the slow discovery...

No comments:

Post a Comment