About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Encore!

I went to see my favorite musician perform last night (Joanna Newsom). It was an amazing concert. I love the energy when I am in a crowd of French people at a good concert. There was a standing ovation and an encore. After the encore, the crowd kept clapping and trying pretty hard for a second encore. She didn't give one. A roadie walked out onstage and waved to the applauding crowd and then started taking things down. Then everybody left.

I've been to two concerts here in France where the crowd went wild afterwards for an encore... but I have never actually heard a French person shout for an encore. I definitely heard "bravo"... but I never heard "encore". "Encore" is the French word for again. Wikipedia tells me this:
" Though the word derives from French, French-speaking people commonly use either une autreun rappel or the Latin bis in the same circumstances".


From my experience, I would say Wikipedia a raison.

No comments:

Post a Comment