About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

La France: Sounds and Smells

I had laser eye surgery in September 2009 and since then I have not been able to see as clearly as I used to with glasses or contacts. Understandably, there have been times when I've been quite upset about this. I remember one of those times when I was talking to my mom about going to France and how disappointed I was that I wouldn't be able to see things over in Europe as clearly as I wanted to see them. My mom also has less-than-perfect vision, and she travels to Europe every Spring. She told me that even if I couldn't see it the way I wanted to, I would still be able to experience all the smells and sounds and tastes.

The smells, sounds and tastes in France tend to be pretty pleasant. I currently have a head cold so I'm not smelling as well as I usually can. Yesterday in class people were complaining about a bad smell and my teacher opened the window. Then we realized that it was coming from the construction next door. I could faintly smell it, and was grateful that my nose was plugged it because I could tell that it was a really strong, unpleasant odor. Later, on my walk home from class, I walked past a guy and the scent of his cologne managed to waft past all the mucus into my nose. My friend A. is right about every man in France smelling like a boy on his way to a Grade 8 dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment