About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

L'Étranger

I wrote exams for four consecutive hours today (I am done 4/8). I am getting used to this whole writing exams every day thing now. I think I did okay on my politics exam today (I'm failing the course), so that made me feel a bit better.

I came back to my room and finished reading L'Étranger by Camus. I bought a copy that has a dossier in the back with literary criticism of the book. The cover of the book is Conference at night by Edward Hopper, so it also has an essay comparing the book to the painting. I didn't even realize it until I read about it in the dossier, but probably one of the reasons why I didn't have too much trouble understanding the book is that it's written in passé composé instead of passé simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment