About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Monday, May 9, 2011

My friend Robert

Two exams down, only 6 to go!

I wasn't allowed to use anything other than a pen for today's exam (Compte Rendu - listening to an audio clip and then writing a summary).

However, in my spare time I have been getting better acquainted with Le Robert.

Now when I talk to friends from back home who did immersion and I talked about tutoyer-ing and vousvoyer-ing, they don't know what I'm talking about sometimes. Tutoyer and vousvoyer are the verbs for calling someone ''tu'' or ''vous'' respectively. And it's a big issue and very nuanced: vousvoyer anyone older than you but don't vousvoyer a friend or they'll think you don't like them. Coworkers are complicated. I usually tutoyer my boss because he is kind of a chilled out hippie. Complicated stuff though.

So here's another great word: zozoter. Zozoter is an informal word for zézayer. Zézayer means to pronounce the French soft J (as in, je) as a z (example: ze veux). There are two words for doing this! French really is a rich language.

Another one that I like is coq-à-l'âne, which is a passage from one subject to another unrelated subject without any transition. A direct translation of this would be rooster-to-donkey, or cock-to-ass.

I am going to finish watching The Life of Émile Zola, winner of Best Picture in the 1937 Oscars. Before I saw this movie I had no idea that Le Figaro used to be published in English in the 19th century. I am certain that this movie will help me succeed on my Art History exam. I also intend to watch Madame Bovary and Les Enfants du Paradis if I have enough time.

No comments:

Post a Comment