About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Resuming my wandering ways

So here I am using the free wi-fi at the Toronto airport. I'm about halfway to my destination: Fredericton. I am increasingly disillusioned with travelling and I long to settle somewhere and build something real. I had to take 7 pounds of clothing out of my suitcase at the airport, at the last minute (I was overweight).

I tried to watch movies on the plane but I am starting to feel like pop culture (in this case, Hollywood) contaminates me when I engage with it. I don't want to fall out of touch with the things that normal people do, but   I've been finding it hard to stomach. I watched five minutes of Red Riding Hood before I deemed it intolerable. Then I spent the rest of the time watching Never Let Me Go, which was extremely depressing. I guess it was maybe trying to make some points about medical science and ethics, but I feel like everyone who watches it will be like, I emotionally engaged for an hour an a half with the issue of medical ethics while I drank a soda and ate buttered popcorn.

I stopped by the bookstore in the airport. I always love seeing which books are being sold in airports, because it is a specific sort of demographic that they cater to (wealthier people who fly a lot) and I think the books reflect that. Some of the titles that jumped out at me: Learn Just Enough to Get Laid, The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves, The Power of Positive Thinking, Outliers, How the West Was Lost, and Becoming Enlightened by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. If only I could get enlightened on a plane. Sigh.

There was also a book about making friends, and turning online friends into real friends. I considered this book, because I don't know anyone in Fredericton and I don't want to spend too much time alone because my mind is a scary place. When I am alone I can either: a) be really reflective and self-examining, or b) watch tv online (especially Coronation Street -- it's like candy for my soul).

I am seriously contemplating getting my boots polished while I am here. They need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment