About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Today's word: Inondation

Inondation is the French word for flood. In English, we say "inundation". But usually we say flood. Sometimes I hear people used "inundated" in English in a more figurative sense. This word comes from Latin " inundatus" which means wave. I am often kind of dismayed in class when an Anglophone asked what a French word means when it has an English cognate. Really? Maybe you should learn your own language before trying to learn another one. It can certainly help. There are quite a few Asians in my classes and I'm pretty sure they don't have anything to go on for cognates. I can't imagine how difficult that would be. Although I think most of them probably know some English already, and they have little electronic translators that they bring to class.


I have been reading a French novel and refusing to look up any words and just guess the meanings based on the context. I finally broke down because I knew the protagonist was playing a game, and he threw one of the pieces at his girlfriend and she started to lose blood. Before that part of the book I had just imagined that this game that I didn't recognize the name of was maybe tiddlywinks. So after she started losing blood I looked up the word: it was darts. That made more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment