About this blog...

sans objet (S.O.): the French equivalent of n/a, not available (or applicable). ''Sans'' comes from a combination of the Latin words sine and absenti, which mean ''without'' and ''in the absence of'' respectively. ''Objet'' also comes from Latin ''Objectum'' meaning something thrown down or presented. That being said, I chose this blog title when I didn't know what kind of posts I would be throwing down. Now that I have written a few entries, I would say that reading my blog means joining me on an etymological adventure that starts in France (where I am currently residing) and ends with me googling definitions and translations and then rambling about it.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Getting educated in the Faculty of Education

It is not yet noon and my brain is already fried. I open up my locker and stare into it, immobile. I know I have to do my assignments one at a time, but which of the three readings that are due tomorrow should I start with?

My professors are not entirely to blame for the intensity of my schedule: many of my time commitments have been self-imposed. I have never been so intellectually stimulated by formal education as I am here. I sat in my morning class and trembled with excitement while we discussed Rousseau's Emile.

The things that we discuss in class only touch the surface of what I want to know. One of our assignments is to design the ideal classroom. I draw diagram after diagram of desk placement, but I'm also interested in how lighting affects learning, whether or not it would be a good idea to give my students stress balls, if 11-year olds can and should meditate, and something called rocking chair therapy (which apparently can be helpful to persons with ADHD). One of my profs uses a rain stick to get our attention. I would like to use a tibetan singing bowl, but would it be loud enough?

I want to research alternative/experimental schools. I don't know if I can find the time. I am reading a book of Short Creative Nonfiction (called In Fact, it is selected submissions from the first ten years of the journal Creative Nonfiction.). I can really only seem to find time to read it while I'm eating. All my other time gets consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment